Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Japan - Week 1 =)

What a week! So much has gone on this past week, I don't even know where to start. On Thursday, we had our first experience eating off base....we went to Joyful Honda (and no, it's not a car dealership) with a group from base. It is a huge Home Depot-ish, pet store, Wal-mart etc type place. They also have a grocery store & food court. We only had time for the food court on Thursday, but that was plenty interesting! Kenny & I were walking around looking at pictures on menus, & I found something that looked like postickers (which I love) so I decided that's what I wanted. We went to the counter, pointed at the pictures of what we wanted & paid with our Yen. It was fun!
After Joyful Honda, we went to the car dealership to officially purchase our car. We got to pick it up on Monday!!!! It is so nice to have a car now. I tend to have minor issues with the blinker....it's on the right side of the steering wheel, instead of the left side. So needless to say I turn on the windshield wipers quite often. =) But at least I haven't pulled a Kenny yet, he was loading the car at the BX while I was walking to the post office. He was going to pick me up there. He got there & told me that I had missed a "Silly Situation" as Will would call it. He got in the car, only to realize that he had gotten in on the wrong side of the car. Instead of getting our & walking around the car, my 6'2" husband crawled through the inside of our compact rental car to the other side. I was crying I was laughing so hard by the time he finished telling me about it. =)
Friday was a huge day....we got our house!!!!! We also got our household goods. Such a blessing. They moved all of our stuff in & we were 90% unpacked in a total of 2 hours. It is so nice to have our furniture and all again.
Saturday & Sunday were not so fun for me....Kenny & I had both been fighting a bug of some sort, and it got the best of me on Saturday. I spent most of the weekend in the bed with fever, chills & aches. No fun. But I have the best husband ever! He took such good care of me while doing his best to organize the house at the same time.
Fortunately I am feeling better now, not 100% yet, but better. Monday we got our new tv, tv stand & car. We are starting to feel normal again. Ben's Uncle Mark took us back to Joyful Honda to look around more & to another mall called Mori-town. They had a really cool grocery store. We bought some food to experiment with for dinner tonight.....
Overall things are going well for us in Japan so far. They are having an inspection on base this week, so there isn't much going on by way of social activities. I still haven't really met any friends our age yet. Please pray that we will meet some new friends soon.
That's all for now...I'm sure there will be more to come soon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the updates! I can just imagine Kenny climbing over to the other side. I guess it is a guy thing. I would have just gotten out and moved to the other side:)
Where's the post about the nail experience?

Michelle said...

Rachel- I am so glad you are keeping this blog! I really enjoy reading about your adventures!! Always in our prayers....

Lyndsey said...

I have a friend who has a friend who might be at your base. I am working on it. They will be there until the spring. I will let you know when I find out her name and contact information. Thanks for the update! Glad that you are feeling better.

Bierman Adventures said...

Cool deal Lynds! Keep me posted!